2. WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU MOVE TO THE NETHERLANDS Moving to another country might be a new experience for you. Below we provide a checklist to help you to prepare your move. DO YOU hAVE A VALID PASSPORT? You must have a valid passport or form of identification at all times. It is necessary to show a copy of a valid passport when applying for an entry visa. If your passport is due to expire in the near future, it is advisable to apply for a new passport before beginning the immigration procedure. The IND – the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service – will not issue a visa if the person in question does not have a valid passport. http://english.ind.nl Depending on your nationality, the purpose and the duration of your stay, you may require an entry visa, residence permit and/or work permit. Without the correct documents you will not be allowed to reside in the Netherlands or carry out your research. These rules are strictly followed by the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). The International Office can provide you with all the necessary information and will help you through the procedure. E-mail immigration@vu.nl Tel. +31 (0) 20 59 82867 DO YOU hAVE OFFICIALLY TRANSLATED, LEGALLY CERTIFIED DOCUMENTS such as a birth certificate, marriage certificate, degree certificate, grant declaration or other relevant documents? You need to have a translated and legally certified birth certificate. The Dutch Embassy in your home country may ask for your birth certificate when you are applying for your visa as confirmation of your identity. If you wish to bring your spouse to the Netherlands with you, you will need to provide a marriage certificate as well as both birth certificates. Please remember to also bring the birth certificates of any children who will accompany you. All birth and marriage certificates must be in or translated into either Dutch, English, French or German. If the documents are in another language, you can obtain information about translating and certifying these kinds of documents from the Dutch Embassy of your home country. You will also need these documents once you have arrived in the Netherlands in order to register with the municipality in which you live. www.minbuza.nl/en/services/embassies-andconsulates/dutch-embassies-and-consulates-abroad DO YOU RESIDE IN A ThIRD COUNTRY? If you need an entry visa for the Netherlands and live in a country of which you are not a national, VU University Amsterdam can arrange the visa at the Dutch Embassy in your country of residence. A copy of your residence permit for the third country is required. Please note that you will still have to present the documents mentioned above (such as your birth certificate) when you report to the Dutch Embassy. If you do not have the documents needed, try to obtain these in your home country or consult your embassy for information and help. ARE YOU BRINGING FAMILY MEMBERS WITh YOU? If you, as a future employee or guest of VU University Amsterdam, wish to bring your partner or children with you to the Netherlands it is important for the university to know this before we start the immigration procedure. It is easier and less expensive to apply for a collective visa for the whole family than to apply for separate visas for each family member. The university can assist you with a collective visa but in the case of separate visas for each 15 Pagina 14

Pagina 16

Heeft u een cursus, pagegangster of digi onderzoeksrapporten? Gebruik Online Touch: whitepaper online bladerbaar op uw website plaatsen.


You need flash player to view this online publication